When driving through Mountain Lakes, countless residents can be seen taking a jog, walking their dog, or just taking a leisurely stroll down the 2.1 mile path that runs alongside the Boulevard. During the town’s infancy, the early twentieth century, widespread automobile ownership was still a decade away. Buying a car was not a luxury that all Mountain Lakes residents could afford. The very same sidewalk that is used for primarily recreational purposes today used to serve a trolley trail, known as the “Boulevard Trolley-Line Path” from the completion of its construction in 1914 until 1928, the same year that all Morris County trolley companies stopped running cars in the area. Until it ceased to run in 1928, the Boulevard Trolley-Line Path served as the primary means of transportation to and from neighboring towns, Boonton and Denville, for the many Mountain Lakers who didn’t have cars.
The Trolley served an essential purpose to town residents who had limited access to public transportation between Mountain Lakes and Boonton, which was the only nearby town where Mountain Lakes residents could shop, go to the doctor or dentist, or get a haircut. The Boulevard Trolley-Line Path also ran up Pocono Road, along Rockaway River, and into Denville where it connected with a much larger trolley system that spanned throughout the majority of Morris County. Taking the Boulevard Trolley-Line Path to Denville and connecting to the larger Trolley system provided Mountain Lakes Residents with easier access to all areas in the county and, while it was not as fast as taking the train, the Boulevard Trolley-Line Path ran much more frequently and, until the path was disassembled in 1928, several Mountain Lakes residents relied on the trolley as their primary method of transportation to and from different areas of Morris County. Taking advantage of the unused trolley trail that spanned nearly the entirety of the Boulevard, the town disassembled the trolly line and paved a walkway with the intention of creating a recreational amenity that residents of the town could enjoy.